Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Choices We Make

The thing about not having roots is every decision I make has the potential to drastically change the course of my life. I've always had roots. Read, a special lady friend to keep me grounded. Mostly, this has been a good thing.

Now that my roots have dried up, releasing me to roam, I have the opportunity to choose for myself where to go.

Here's a line from one of the songs I wrote in January:

don't believe the lie that everything happens for a reason
the choices that we make we deal with everyday until we're gone


Contrary to this lyric, I try not to think too deeply about this kind of stuff. Once you draw a line in the sand with ideas like destiny, you start to let yr life/relationships be dictated by concepts. I prefer to listen to my heart and guts for such issues.

Life is strange right now. I'm loving it, yet the mood of my day seems to be set more by the dreams I remember in the morning than anything real. I keep coming back to that idea of the burden of the past / promise of the future. I'm stuck right in the middle of those two places, not feeling the tug of either very strongly.

I'm trying to be more like my bro Pete, who is content in his own skin. Not much can shake him.

No comments:

Post a Comment