Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Oh Yeah, I'm Building a Guitar

I haven't had much time to sit in front of the computer this week and probably won't through the rest of the week. I've been working late in the shop trying to get the first Forest done. Then, hanging with friends into the night. Trying to squeeze every ounce of life from this. Pete says I'm having a time-of-my-life moment. As long as it's not a ONCE-in-my-life moment, I'm ok with it.

I've learned a lot about who I am over the coarse of this trip, but I sincerely believe this wide eyed enthusiasm I'm experiencing is rooted not in the adventures of travel. It's easy to decieve yrself that everything is good, when everything is new. As I said in my last post. The thrill of the ordinary. That's what's driving me.

Monday night I had fun jam with Brian, Cian, Jon, Adam, Tyson, and briefly Monique. It's been a while since I've played music with more than one other person. I haven't talked much about Brian, but he and I have hit it off. He's one of those rare nice guys. A genuine nice guy. His songs are really good too.

Tonight, Stenni, Arlen and I drove up to Kortnay for dinner. Good times. Good dudes. Sorry, these details (and much of this blog) are for my benefit. Something to look back on.

Anyways....

Here's a pictorial update on my first guitar





The neck has been the most gratifying to work on. It really is the soul of the guitar. The part that says, "hey, how you doin'?" I don't have much of a preference when it comes to the shape of a guitar neck, but there are necks that invite you to play and others that leave you cold. Like yr alway reaching, but not connecting.

It took me 4 hours to do a rough carve of my neck. It takes other students a day. Arlen can do one in 20 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment