Friday, June 6, 2008

The Sea is Angry



The sea is angry tonight.

It's been a strange day. Everything seemed slower.

Last night there was a bad car wreck just meters from where I sleep. Stinni, my Icelandic friend was one of the first to the car. 5:30 on a grey drizzling morning. Car wrapped around thick cedar.

I got a parcel in the mail. The woman working the mail counter (moles on neck, bags under eyes) was having problems processing my package. Something she's done thousands (?) of times. Said she was having a foggy day. Her nephew was in a bad car accident this morning. In a comma. Not looking too good.

Probably the wrong day to think about this stuff, but I've had this bouncing around in my head for the past while.

I've boiled it down to this. People vs. Product.

I know I can't keep doing the renovation business for ever. It's good for now and I create things for some great people, but it has no lasting value for me (sorry Ben, this is probably the first post you'll read). As lame as it sounds, I need to know that I'm making a difference.

For some real perspective. The stuff you won't see on The National or CNN, if you have the time, read through my friend Pam's blog. http://pamwalls.blogspot.com/

Start with the first post.

This is where the whole guitar making thing comes in. Is this a difference maker? Will the world be better if I give it some more guitars? I have a couple answers, but I'd love to hear what you think....

Guitars are like women. When you find a good one, you have to care for her. A good one is rare and hard to come by. As soon as you touch, you know. I like to think my hands are able.

Wow. Who cut the cheese?

In the midst of this writing, I've had Long Island Adam across the table spouting off on his ideas of perpetual motion (this is going to save the world through zero emission energy generation). He just drew a banana with a motor. I says pardon?

Talked to a friend on the phone tonight. Nice to talk with someone off the island.

I made the mistake of leaving my camera unattended on my work bench....





No comments:

Post a Comment